Friday, April 29, 2011

APOD 4.5: The Antenne AND Zooniverse

This is really cool, and tied to what I did in Zooniverse this week. Here we have a picture of Galaxies colliding, galaxies NGC 4038 and 4039. The galaxies can be found in the constellation Corvus, the Crow. When one thinks of a collision, people thing explosions, crashing, wrecking, etc. However, in a Galactic Collision, they just merge through each other. As if sliding ones hands together, the parts of the galaxies mesh, and form one large galaxies. The gravitational influences of the Galaxies on each other, they stretch and warp.


This APOD also matches with my Zooniverse this week, which was Galaxies colliding. It was the first project I did, but I returned to it to mash some galaxies again. It was fun. I simulated atleast 100 galaxy simulations, and modified them.

No comments:

Post a Comment